Dear interested reader,
this blog is a novelty for a person in mid-80s rather far away from the “social media” because intent on preserving remaining time and energy for articulated and rounded-off writing of my own. I have however come around to the opinion I should have a way of presenting both a bit about myself and such works, whether single articles or book volumes, to people interested in the themes I deal with who would otherwise not have knowledge of or access to them.
Thus, it is structured into two parts:
1/First, to give the reader a fuller access to my life’s research, divided into five categories:
- SCIENCE FICTION & UTOPIANISM
- BRECHT – DRAMA — THEATRE
- POLITICAL EPISTEMOLOGY
- SOCIALIST YUGOSLAVIA – SFRY
- SUNDRY (East Asia, Narrative Theory, Other)
A short description can be found above for each of these categories with a few examples following on this site. A full list of publications may be found in the drop-downs below “Publications”.
Of course, such categories are imperfect tools. Sometimes they overlap, and any general development in my views or my stance is perhaps better seen in a chronological overview – which is also present in the full curriculum vitae that can be found in a separate rubric here. Still, when accompanied by both this recourse and the middle ground of looking up on this site representative selections of my writings divided into the above categories, it is the best I can do, and I hope it might be of use.
The articles on this website, as well as many further titles in all categories above, can be downloaded in PDF form from the web link https://independent.academia.edu/DarkoSuvin/Papers .
I encourage those interested in the writings to write me about them after having read one or some. I shall attempt to answer the interesting messages – those that can help in clarifying to my correspondent and myself what I was trying to convey.
I shall not answer unargued praises or blames, nor matters that do not arise out of the writings.
2/ Second, the — let us call it — biographical part, consisting now of poems and photos.
· Darko R. Suvin, born in Zagreb, Yugoslavia, university teacher, literary and theatre critic, poet and writer, studied at the Universities of Zagreb, Bristol (U.K.), the Sorbonne (France), and Yale before getting his Ph.D. in Comparative Literature (drama) at U. of Zagreb.
· He is Professor Emeritus at McGill University, a fellow of The Royal Society of Canada (Academy of Humanities and Social Sciences); Research associate, Dip. di anglistica, Univ. di Pisa, Italy; membro del Collegio, Dottorato in Italianistica, Dipt. di l. e lett. moderne e comparate, Univ. Roma 2 ‑ Tor Vergata; member of P.E.N. Club italiano (Milano).
· Address: Prof. D. Suvin, C. P. 36, Uff. pt. Succ. 4 (S. Anna), Viale Puccini 407, 55100 Lucca, ITALY
· e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org